Leisure Activities: Things To Do Nearby
Clanville Manor is only 2 miles from Castle Cary, a small, vibrant Market Town with a market on Tuesdays all year. Lots of information can be found on the town’s website www.castle-cary.co.uk
The River Brue runs through the fields behind Clanville Manor – bring a pair of Wellington boots, or borrow a pair from the house, so that you can enjoy walking along its banks!
If you are lucky you may see one of the resident kingfishers, or a badger as it plays on the river bank. The picture below was taken with a camera phone – spot the baby badger just emerging from its sett in daytime!
In the Autumn conkers can be collected beneath the many horse chestnut trees. For local walks on public rights of way, you can view maps here
During the warmer months a private outdoor heated swimming pool is available for guests staying at The Tallet Holiday Cottage or Lone Oak Cottage. Please bring your own swimming towels if you will be using the pool.
The walled garden also has a children’s ‘Wendy House’, ride-on toys for younger children and a climbing frame. A track nearby gives access to the river with picnic areas on unspoilt river banks.
The chickens were free range for several years but we lost many of them to the local foxes, including our beautiful proud Welsummer cockerel. We now have a fenced area for them near the car park, and they wait for children to feed corn to them! After another fox attack in broad daylight in July 2016, we now have BBC Radio 4 on in the shed beside the chicken runs so that ‘Mr Fox’ thinks that there is someone around all the time! Children can also collect eggs from the nest boxes in the chicken house.
The farm encompasses a pond, an old orchard, several fields, beech and horse chestnut trees and in summer there are often new born calves.
The wider area’s many attractions include:
- Glastonbury Tor and Abbey
- Wells Cathedral
- Stourhead Garden and Alfred’s Tower
- Cheddar Gorge and Wookey Hole Caves
- Montacute House and other National Trust properties
- Haynes International Motor Museum – at Sparkford
- The Fleet Air Arm Museum – at Yeovilton
- Clarks Shopping Village is at Street, about 25 minutes’ drive.
- Just over an hour-and no exorbitant park & ride- to Weymouth & Portland by train from Castle Cary, just a mile from Clanville Manor!
- Safari tots and Hullabaloo soft play centre
- Lots of links and information on Days out with the Kids
Please see also Glastonbury Festival Accommodation page.