Clanville Manor is only 2 miles from Castle Cary, a small, vibrant Market Town with a market on Tuesdays all year. Lots of information can be found on the town’s website www.castle-cary.co.uk
The River Brue runs through the fields behind Clanville Manor – bring a pair of Wellington boots, or borrow a pair from the house, so that you can enjoy walking along its banks!
If you are lucky you may see one of the resident kingfishers, or a badger as it plays on the river bank. The picture below was taken with a camera phone – spot the baby badger just emerging from its sett in daytime!
In the Autumn conkers can be collected beneath the many horse chestnut trees. We have OS maps in both cottages
During the warmer months a private outdoor heated swimming pool is available for guests staying at The Tallet Holiday Cottage or Lone Oak Cottage. Please bring your own swimming towels if you will be using the pool.
The walled garden also has a children’s ‘Wendy House’, ride-on toys for younger children and a climbing frame. A track nearby gives access to the river with picnic areas on unspoilt river banks.
We have recently started a new venture ‘BirdsandHerds’ If you are interested in a farm visit please ask; Rob, Ed or Sally will show you around.
The farm encompasses a pond, an old orchard, several fields, beech and horse chestnut trees and in summer there are often new born calves.
The wider area’s many attractions include:
- Glastonbury Tor and Abbey
- Wells Cathedral
- Stourhead Garden and Alfred’s Tower
- Cheddar Gorge and Wookey Hole Caves
- Montacute House and other National Trust properties
- Haynes International Motor Museum – at Sparkford
- The Fleet Air Arm Museum – at Yeovilton
- Clarks Shopping Village is at Street, about 25 minutes’ drive.
- Just over an hour-and no exorbitant park & ride- to Weymouth & Portland by train from Castle Cary, just a mile from Clanville Manor!
- Safari tots and Hullabaloo soft play centre
- Lots of links and information on Days out with the Kids
- Pony/horse trekking on the Mendips: Tynings Trekking